Friday, December 19, 2008

Much Afraid

So I just got an e-mail from a friend who's decided to survey momma's from several generations and stations in life. Her goal is to try and compile the information she receives into some form of encouragement for the mommies out there who need it.

First of all, I applaud my friend! Great idea! But she made me think too late at night when everything is quiet and things can be taken too seriously. She asked a tough question, as only true and good friends will do:

What is the hardest thing about being a mom?

My answer (straight from the survey):
Not knowing what to do but having the complete knowledge that the small decisions you make (while not knowing what decisions you should make) will permanently affect and/or alter your child’s future…maybe even 60 years from now…that’s a lot of responsibility.

Does anyone else feel that way? I'm telling myself that surely it's not just me, but then there's this part of me that's pretty prone to paranoia (wipe the grin off of your face, Myra!)

So, Blogger buddies, what say ye?

2 comments:

Mama said...

Oh yes I would agree completely! The uncertainty of motherhood is daunting especially knowing that, for the most part, the buck stops with mom. There aren't too many other places children will look for the answers to tough questions...or too many other places that love or discipline come from.

Mandy Mc said...

That is so very tough. I feel like I'm constantly thinking about some sort of decision from silly things like "can she eat such and such now?" to "where should she go to daycare?" to "how can I ensure that she goes to college?" I fear I worry over even the small things (she's currently eating organic food, I'm constantly on the look out for that BPA free label, and I denied her the flu shot...) and it's so very stressful. But it's so hard to let go because as you've said even these little things could potentially affect her. You're right..."that's a lot of responsibility."

As the mother of an infant (who is currently sick, which intensifies things even more), I must add/confess that one of the hardest things right now is not wishing her life away. I'm so tired and part of me just wants her to be more self-sufficient.