Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Little Hair Here, A Little Hair There





Have I ever told you about the time Rachael cut her own hair? I'm convinced every child must at least experiment with this. I know I did as a kid (gave myself pumpkin teeth on my bangs!). I was hoping to skip this part of parenting, but alas, last August it hit suddenly as I was feeling "relieved" in my bathroom.

You can imagine, I'm sure, this scene as I was "seated" in the lavatory (no, as a mother, you NEVER have any privacy):
RACH: Mom! I need to come in!
ME: No, you can wait until I come out.
RACH: No! I need to show you someping (and yes, I spelled this correctly if we're going phonetically here).
ME: No, you need to wait!
RACH: But Mom, I cut my hair and I need to show you!
ME: (silence)
RACH: Mom!! Please can I come in! (she enters during my silence at this point)
RACHAEL COMES IN TWIRLING AND RUNNING HER FINGERS THROUGH HER CHOPPED UP HAIR
ME: Wow, Rachael. You DID cut your hair.
RACH: Brudder helped! I cut my hair, then Brudder cut my hair, then I cut my hair, then Brudder cut my hair...

You get the picture. She was so proud of her creation and Thomas' cooperation that I was just speechless. The pictures say it all. So much for Bathroom Breaks! I don't think I've had one since then and it's been over a year! By the way, to add insult to emotional injury... When I found a really long thick strand, I put one end in some glue and let it dry so we would always remember how beautiful and long it was. It stays in my jewelry box on my dresser...well, it did. The insult? Recently I discovered that Miss Scissor-Happy has cut off and discarded all of that hair also...right up to the glue nub!

1 comments:

Mandy Mc said...

Oh my!!! I cut my hair as a child too (hangs head in shame). Mom found my hair under a rug (not sure if I put it there or the babysitter did) At least Rachael waited until she had lots of hair to cut. Even post haircut, it was still salvageable!